An anxious dog finds life difficult. Unlike a confident, well-balanced dog, he cannot make sense of his world. Your anxious dog has not developed the coping strategies that many dogs have naturally. It’s not all about socialization either.
My dog was well socialized but is extremely anxious
Puppy socialization is an art form but sadly, there are dog trainers that fail to understand that not all puppies are the same. Throwing a bunch of puppies together and expecting them to play nicely is not the way to approach puppy training.
Puppies are all different sizes and individual temperaments. Introductions need monitoring to watch for shyness or bullying. Only when a puppy is confident of his ability to cope, can you let him run with the other pups.
Genetics can produce nervous or anxious behaviour. However, you can help him to develop coping strategies for managing his issues. In this article, we are going to explore various treatments for your dog’s behaviour.
Okay, you have a problem. What is it and how does the behaviour manifest? Anxiety and nervousness can present in many ways:
Although the above list of behaviour appears to be variable, the foundation for overcoming the issues is similar.
Do not buy into your dog’s behaviour
Dog psychology is NOT the same as human psychology. If your child were scared, you would soothe him, reassuring him that he need not be afraid. Your child would hug you and feel comforted.
With a dog, your efforts to reassure him merely compound his fears. By cuddling him, you are reinforcing the behaviour. For instance, a young dog hearing his first clap of thunder may jump and hide under the table. Naturally, you try calming methods by stroking him and using soothing words.
The next time he hears thunder, he will seek that reassurance because he believes there is something to be afraid of because you inadvertently highlighted the fear by your behaviour towards him.
For anxiety based around loud noises
It is best to ignore the behaviour – do not make a big thing of symptoms of fear. If your dog reacts to thunder, simply carry on with what you were doing. Ignore the dog for a few moments and then do something to distract him. If he loves playing with a ball, encourage him to play.
In this way, you are teaching him a positive association with the thunder. It might seem counterintuitive to you, but this is how a dog thinks.
If this happens outside of the house, ensure that your dog is safe. When scared, a dog may run away so put him inside the house or on a lead. Although you are ignoring the behaviour, it is important to put your dog in an environment where he normally feels safe.
For fear aggression, barking at objects etc.
Your dog has to learn that you will protect him. In his moment of fear, despite he may be barking and lunging, he is terrified. To explain this, we are going to portray a typical example of a dog that is reactive to other dogs.
You are walking your dog up the road to the park. Ahead, in the distance, you see another dog walker. Look down at your dog and see if he is displaying any of the following symptoms:
If you are seeing any of the above signs, your dog is preparing to react. His physiology is responding to the trigger (dog in the distance) and his responses will escalate as you walk closer to the trigger.
What are you doing?
Observe your own behaviour. Are you doing any of the following?
Your responses are important in helping to change the behaviour of your dog. The method we use is Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT for short)
Observe how far away you are from the trigger and make a mental note. Is it 50 yards, 100 yards, or more? With a happy voice, call your dog, say ‘this way’ and turn and walk the opposite direction to the trigger. Look down at your dog and observe when the physiological symptoms have gone. This will usually be when he looks up at you, happy to be away from the trigger.
In the beginning, you will be doing a lot of turning around.
Over time, with regular practice, this is what will happen:
BAT is a fabulous training method for the fearful or anxious dog.
At the same time as you are working through this treatment, it is a great idea to teach your dog an alternative behaviour. Sit or a down is a calming behaviour that will reduce his reactivity.
Carry treats with you and give him a treat when he is calm and happy.
Over time, your dog will learn to sit and look at you whenever he sees the trigger and, later, the trigger will be able to pass by as your dog looks up at you happily assured that he is safe with you, and that he does not need to be anxious or reactive.
There can be no set timescale for recovery from anxiety, stress or fear based reactivity but if you work through these guidelines, you can be confident of seeing great improvement in your dog.
Bestselling Anxiety Relief Products for Dogs
Bestseller No. 1
VetriScience Laboratories Composure, Calming Support Formula for Dogs, 60 Bite-Sized Chews
- Composure calming formula includes colostrum, l-theanine and thiamine; all recognized ingredients to support calmer behavior and relaxation.
- Composure is clinically shown to work within 30 minutes and lasts up to 4 hours.
- Composure can be administered on a daily basis or situation specific. It is safe to double or triple the dose to reach the desired effect. This supplement is safe and effective for long term, daily use.
- Easy to administer chicken liver flavored chew that your pup may think is a treat! Best results occur when given 30 minutes prior to stress causing event.
- VetriScience products are veterinarian formulated, manufactured in the U.S.A.
SaleBestseller No. 2
Calming Soft Chews for Dogs - Anxiety Composure Aid with Suntheanine - Organic Hemp & Valerian Root + L Tryptophan for Dog Stress Relief - For Storms + Barking & Chewing - Turkey Flavor - 90 Count
- AN ALL-NATURAL FORMULA FOR ANXIETY - Zesty Paws Calming Bites are turkey flavored chewable supplements formulated with natural and organic ingredients that can help dogs of all ages and sizes feel more calm and comfortable in any condition. Whether it's nervous and anxious behavior or a loud aggressive temperament issue, these Calming Bites can help support your pets to keep them happy and comfortable at home or during travel time.
- FEATURES SUNTHEANINE FOR STRESS FREE RELAXATION - Nothing is harder for a dog owner than seeing their beloved canine companion struggling with constant stress problems that make life a challenge. That's why Zesty Paws formulated these Calming Bites with Suntheanine, a pure form of L-Theanine that helps stimulate brain waves to promote relaxation with no drowsy effect.
- HELPS WITH HYPERACTIVE & AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR - Each daily anti-anxiety chew contains Thiamine and Organic Chamomile to help dogs with aggressive, hyper active and easily agitated tendencies. These soothing ingredients in this supplement work together as a relaxant to relieve stress and tension that causes excessive jumping, biting and barking troubles.
- MELLOWS OUT ANXIETIES DURING STRESSFUL SITUATIONS - If your dog runs and hides under your shirt during a loud thunderstorm at home or outside, these chewables are a great remedy to compose your pet by encouraging natural comfort and relaxing relief. It's also great for separation anxiety, loud fireworks noises, car rides, dog parks and crowded public spaces.
- ADVANCED COMPLEX OF PROVEN INGREDIENTS - These wheat free treats also contain Organic Ginger Root, L-Tryptophan and Organic Passion Flower to help balance dog behavior to minimize disruptive outbursts, while Valerian Root works in conjunction with Organic Hemp Powder and Organic Hemp Oil to reduce scratching and restlessness, along with paw licking and chewing problems.
SaleBestseller No. 3
Calming Treats for Dogs - Hemp Oil Infused Soft Chews for Dog Anxiety Support - Formulated with Organic Chamomile, Passion Flower, Valerian Root, Tryptophan and Ginger Root - 120 Dog Calming Treats
- NATURAL CALMING AID - Our duck flavored soft chews offer relief for dogs using all natural ingredients like organic chamomile, organic passion flower, valerian root, l-tryptophan and organic ginger root
- SAFE + MILD - Organic chamomile is a natural ingredient known to alleviate symptoms of stress and anxiety in dogs and can also be used to calm nervous or hyperactive dogs. Whether your dog suffers from separation anxiety, weather-related woes, or exhibits other types of nervous behavior, Calm Pup can help put your pet at ease
- RELIEVES ANXIETY IN STRESSFUL SITUATIONS - Our natural ingredients work together to reduce symptoms of anxiety such as excessive scratching, barking, chewing, licking and salivating. Great for holiday gatherings, travel, or any time your pet exhibits symptoms of stress and anxiousness
- PICKY PUP APPROVED - Our combination of soothing ingredients work together to help your dog feel at ease and safe during otherwise stressful times. Best of all, our soft chews taste like treats without added fillers like corn, dairy, soy and artificial colors and ingredients
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - If you or your doggy aren't satisfied with our product please contact us for a full refund; we stand behind the powerful effects of our supplements which is why we offer a satisfaction guarantee
SaleBestseller No. 4
True Leaf Pet 40 Count Hemp Chews Calming Support for Dogs, 7 oz
- One of nature's most balanced and richest source of fatty acids
- It contains Omega 6 and Omega 3 in an optimal 3:1 ratio
- One of the few plants containing GLA (gamma linolenic acid)
- Naturally supports the body's response to inflammation
- Contains tocopherols, a natural antioxidant
Bestseller No. 5
Calming Soft Chews for Dogs - Anxiety Composure Aid Treats with Suntheanine - Organic Hemp & L Tryptophan for Dog Stress Relief - Great for Storms + Barking & Chewing - Peanut Butter Flavor - 90 Count
- A NATURAL FORMULA FOR ANXIETY - Zesty Paws Calming Bites are peanut butter flavored chewable supplements with natural and organic ingredients that help dogs with nervous, anxious, or aggressive behaviors feel calm and comfortable.
- FEATURES Suntheanine - These calming treats contain 30mg of Suntheanine per chew, which is a pure and GRAS-designated form of L-Theanine that helps stimulate brain waves to promote relaxation with no drowsy effect.
- HELPS WITH HYPERACTIVE & AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR - Each chew contains Thiamine and Organic Chamomile, which act as a relaxer that can help reduce jumping, biting, and barking from dogs that display aggressive or hyper active tendencies.
- SOOTHES ANXIETIES - This Calming Bites supplement may encourage natural anti-anxiety support for a thunderstorm, fireworks, car rides, parks, or separation anxiety.
- ADVANCED COMPLEX OF PROVEN INGREDIENTS - These treats contain Organic Ginger Root, L-Tryptophan, and Organic Passion Flower to help minimize outbursts, while Valerian Root reduces scratching, restlessness, paw licking, and chewing.