An anxious dog finds life difficult. Unlike a confident, well-balanced dog, he cannot make sense of his world. Your anxious dog has not developed the coping strategies that many dogs have naturally. It’s not all about socialization either.
My dog was well socialized but is extremely anxious
Puppy socialization is an art form but sadly, there are dog trainers that fail to understand that not all puppies are the same. Throwing a bunch of puppies together and expecting them to play nicely is not the way to approach puppy training.
Puppies are all different sizes and individual temperaments. Introductions need monitoring to watch for shyness or bullying. Only when a puppy is confident of his ability to cope, can you let him run with the other pups.
Genetics can produce nervous or anxious behaviour. However, you can help him to develop coping strategies for managing his issues. In this article, we are going to explore various treatments for your dog’s behaviour.
Okay, you have a problem. What is it and how does the behaviour manifest? Anxiety and nervousness can present in many ways:
Although the above list of behaviour appears to be variable, the foundation for overcoming the issues is similar.
Do not buy into your dog’s behaviour
Dog psychology is NOT the same as human psychology. If your child were scared, you would soothe him, reassuring him that he need not be afraid. Your child would hug you and feel comforted.
With a dog, your efforts to reassure him merely compound his fears. By cuddling him, you are reinforcing the behaviour. For instance, a young dog hearing his first clap of thunder may jump and hide under the table. Naturally, you try calming methods by stroking him and using soothing words.
The next time he hears thunder, he will seek that reassurance because he believes there is something to be afraid of because you inadvertently highlighted the fear by your behaviour towards him.
For anxiety based around loud noises
It is best to ignore the behaviour – do not make a big thing of symptoms of fear. If your dog reacts to thunder, simply carry on with what you were doing. Ignore the dog for a few moments and then do something to distract him. If he loves playing with a ball, encourage him to play.
In this way, you are teaching him a positive association with the thunder. It might seem counterintuitive to you, but this is how a dog thinks.
If this happens outside of the house, ensure that your dog is safe. When scared, a dog may run away so put him inside the house or on a lead. Although you are ignoring the behaviour, it is important to put your dog in an environment where he normally feels safe.
For fear aggression, barking at objects etc.
Your dog has to learn that you will protect him. In his moment of fear, despite he may be barking and lunging, he is terrified. To explain this, we are going to portray a typical example of a dog that is reactive to other dogs.
You are walking your dog up the road to the park. Ahead, in the distance, you see another dog walker. Look down at your dog and see if he is displaying any of the following symptoms:
If you are seeing any of the above signs, your dog is preparing to react. His physiology is responding to the trigger (dog in the distance) and his responses will escalate as you walk closer to the trigger.
What are you doing?
Observe your own behaviour. Are you doing any of the following?
Your responses are important in helping to change the behaviour of your dog. The method we use is Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT for short)
Observe how far away you are from the trigger and make a mental note. Is it 50 yards, 100 yards, or more? With a happy voice, call your dog, say ‘this way’ and turn and walk the opposite direction to the trigger. Look down at your dog and observe when the physiological symptoms have gone. This will usually be when he looks up at you, happy to be away from the trigger.
In the beginning, you will be doing a lot of turning around.
Over time, with regular practice, this is what will happen:
BAT is a fabulous training method for the fearful or anxious dog.
At the same time as you are working through this treatment, it is a great idea to teach your dog an alternative behaviour. Sit or a down is a calming behaviour that will reduce his reactivity.
Carry treats with you and give him a treat when he is calm and happy.
Over time, your dog will learn to sit and look at you whenever he sees the trigger and, later, the trigger will be able to pass by as your dog looks up at you happily assured that he is safe with you, and that he does not need to be anxious or reactive.
There can be no set timescale for recovery from anxiety, stress or fear based reactivity but if you work through these guidelines, you can be confident of seeing great improvement in your dog.
Bestselling Anxiety Relief Products for Dogs
Bestseller No. 1
Calming Treats For Dogs - Anxiety Composure Relief with Suntheanine - Organic Kelp & Valerian Root + L Tryptophan for Dog Stress & Separation Aid in Fireworks, Thunder + Chewing & Barking - 90 Chews
- A NATURAL FORMULA FOR ANXIETY - Zesty Paws Calming Bites are chicken flavored chewable supplements with natural and organic ingredients that help dogs with nervous, anxious, or aggressive behaviors feel calm and comfortable.
- FEATURES Suntheanine - These calming treats contain 30mg of Suntheanine per chew, which is a pure and GRAS-designated form of L-Theanine that helps stimulate brain waves to promote relaxation with no drowsy effect.
- HELPS WITH HYPERACTIVE & AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR - Each chew contains Thiamine and Organic Chamomile, which act as a relaxer that can help reduce jumping, biting, and barking from dogs that display aggressive or hyper active tendencies.
- SOOTHES ANXIETIES - This Calming Bites supplement may encourage natural anti-anxiety relief for a thunderstorm, fireworks, car rides, or separation anxiety.
- ADVANCED COMPLEX OF PROVEN INGREDIENTS - These treats contain Organic Ginger Root, L-Tryptophan, and Organic Passion Flower to help minimize outbursts, while Valerian Root reduces scratching, restlessness, paw licking, and chewing.
SaleBestseller No. 2
VetriScience Laboratories Composure, Calming Support for Dogs, 60 Bite Sized Chews
- Composure calming formula includes colostrum, l-theanine and thiamine; all recognized ingredients to support calmer behavior and relaxation.
- Composure is clinically shown to work within 30 minutes and lasts up to 4 hours.
- Composure can be administered on a daily basis or situation specific. It is safe to double or triple the dose to reach the desired effect. This supplement is safe and effective for long term, daily use.
- Easy to administer chicken liver flavored chew that your pup may think is a treat! Best results occur when given 30 minutes prior to stress causing event.
- VetriScience products are veterinarian formulated, manufactured in the U.S.A.
SaleBestseller No. 3
Bach Rescue Remedy Pet, 20 ml
- Thunderstorms, fireworks, vet visits - pets get stressed too! A few drops of RESCUE REMEDY PET can help reduce pet stress without the side effects often found in sedatives.
- Veterinarian recommended RESCUE REMEDY PET is a blend of 5 BACH ORIGINAL FLOWER REMEDIES, in a pet-friendly, alcohol-free formula.
- Each ingredient, chosen for its unique ability to ease mental tension - Rock Rose, Impatiens, Clematis, Star of Bethlehem, and Cherry Plum - is sourced directly from the original gardens of Dr. Bach.
- Simply add four drops to your pet's food, water bowl or on a treat. It can also be rubbed onto your pet's' ear, nose or paw. Repeat as needed.
- Suitable for dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, birds, and lizards. The dosage of RESCUE REMEDY PET does not depend on the weight or type of animal. RESCUE REMEDY PET is not a sedative, so find the dosage that works best for you and your pet.
SaleBestseller No. 4
Hemp Treats - Safe Calming Treats for Dogs - Hemp Oil for Pets - Dog Anxiety Relief - Natural Calming Aid - Helps with Separation Anxiety - Storms - Fireworks - Chewing - Stress - Barking - 120 Count
- RELIEVES DOG ANXIETY OR YOUR MONEY BACK. ~ Plano Paws Hemp Treats advanced calming formula provides the best ingredients to help calm and relax your dog. Hemp Treats focus on the treatment of your dogs anxiety. Hemp Treats Chicken flavor soft chews make perfect dog treats to help calm dogs down. Hemp Treats are the best choice for an all natural remedy for dog anxiety.
- SAFE, EFFECTIVE, NATURAL ANXIETY RELIEF FOR DOGS. ~ Grain free. No corn, wheat, or soy. No sugars, salts, or gumming agents. Hemp Treats No heat manufacturing process maintains ingredient integrity while giving your canine a tasty flavorful treat your dog will love. Hemp Treats 100% natural formula is perfect for small dogs, medium dogs, and large breed dogs.
- 100% LIFETIME SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. DOGS LOVE THE TASTE. MADE IN THE USA. ~ Hemp Treats are manufactured in a GMP compliant and FDA inspected facility to ensure superior quality. We offer a no questions asked 100% money back guarantee. Plano Paws mission is to develop safe premium all-natural pet supplements with 100% customer satisfaction
- REDUCES STRESS & SEPARATION ANXIETY. ~ Hemp Treats uses 6 powerful ingredients including Organic Hemp Protein Powder, Thiamine B1, Valerian Root, Organic Chamomile, L-Theanine, and L-Tryptophan which help calm and support without expensive prescription medications or pills. Our formula helps dogs with motion sickness, travel, storm anxiety, chewing, inappropriate marking, hyperactivity, aggressive or destructive behavior. Hemp Treats are a perfect calming remedy for your dogs anxiety.
- PROMOTES COMFORT & RELAXATION. ~ Hemp Treats are a natural calming aid that provides anxiety relief for dogs. Soft chews are much easier to use and are more effective than a thunder shirt or vest. Hemp Treats help with separation anxiety, excessive barking, licking. Safer than prescription meds without the harmful side effects. Hemp Treats aid in the composure of your dog.
SaleBestseller No. 5
CEVA Animal Health ADAPTIL Calm Home Diffuser for Dogs (30 Day Starter Kit)
- #1 brand used and recommended by veterinarians
- Clinically proven to work
- Drug-free solution that helps reduce signs of fear and anxiety, like whining, hiding and excessive barking
- Provides your dog with continuous and constant comfort. Starter kit includes one diffuser head and one vial that lasts up to 30 days
- 100% satisfaction guarantee